Who is not fond of heating appliances to style your long and thick hair? Every human being on the earth, I guess. If you frequently use flat irons, blow dryers, curling rods, you might also use a heat protectant.Heating tools potentially wreak havoc on your strands you must be wondering how long does heat protectant last on hair? The more the temperature, the more the damage as hairs get weaker.
Heating is a primary culprit in damaging hairs. Then why bother hairs when you can spray a few shots of hair protectant before using heating stylers. After all, only a few strokes can relieve your sleeky mane from excessive heating.
What is a hair protectant?
Quite a common question if you have never applied those protecting layers on your hairs. A hair protectant is a spray to lather upon hair to protect your hair from direct contact with heat.
By saving your strands, hair protectant spray exposed a coated layer rather than hair to excessive heating, which burns with heat and keeps your hair.
Though it forms a protective layer, it does not entirely save damage to hairs. However, it often minimizes the risk of potential harm.
As long as the spray is stuck to your hair, you are safe to use heating stylers. Once the mist is gone, your hair becomes more prone to damage.
Different brands offer a variety of heat protectants to ensure protection for different hair textures from heating tools. You can choose which suits your hair.
Should I use it?
However, it’s a personal choice to use a hair protectant or not. Adding protection to hair keeps your hair’s health in good condition. Following are some too valuable benefits to ignore:
- Most heating tools cause moisture loss, which could be prevented by applying protectant spray.
- Using protectants keeps your hair healthy and nourished.
- Controlling hair breakage is the specialized benefit of hair protectants.
- Protectant spray also stimulates the process of styling tools without requiring significant effort.
How often should I use it?
Get to the point, use hair protectants whenever you intend to apply heating machines. The good idea is to apply it thoroughly to your hair to reduce hair damage. Take a small amount in your hand and use it to hair by mixing with your fingers to cover all hairs. You can also brush your hair to ensure even distribution.
How long does heat protectant last on hair?
The protection of spray is adequate for 2 hours. Get all your styling work done within this time. Otherwise, the results of the spray won’t satisfy you. On average, they could sustain up to 4 hours.
The ideal temperature to bear all heating tools is up to 400 degrees by using hair protectants. Few sprays mention more time in their guide. Please read the product description to the best use of it.
If you check, hair protectants do not expire. They don’t have any expiry date on products. Therefore, you can use it unless you run out.However, it is recommended to replace the bottles every year to get the maximum benefits from sprays.
How to use hair protectant?
Let the heat protectant dry off your hair. It helps the spray to immerse into your hair thoroughly. Usually, it takes just a few minutes to get dry. When you feel it completely dries, you are ready to apply heating objects to your hair. It is worth mentioning to dry your hair completely before using hair straighteners as they squeeze both sides to pass heat into your hairs.
Is there any substitute for hair protectant?
Hair protectants are formed by a chemical combination of two common ingredients, including Cyclomethicone and dimethicone. If you want to avoid chemically synthesized hair protectants, you can choose the following recommended substitutes.
- Coconut Oil: The popular choice to keep your hair healthy and nourished. Coconut oil is a natural heat protectant as it can sustain high temperatures. With their hair-friendly nature, they also contribute to smooth and silky hairs and control the damage of hairs.
- Argan Oil: Argan oil adds moisture to your hair and scalp to protect you from heat and damage. It is a great alternative as this can tolerate temperatures above 400 Fahrenheit like professional sprays.
- Grapeseed Oil: Another alternative for protecting hair from heating is grapeseed oil. The thermal conductive property of this oil is quite popular in the market, making it the highest-selling product for hair protection.
- Almond Oil: Almond oil is a key ingredient in professional sprays to protect heating. Rich source of vitamins, better nourishment for your hairs, almond oils also leave a pleasant scent in your hair.
- Shea Butter: if you feel exhausted with silicone-containing hair protectants, shea butter is an excellent choice. In addition, you can blend it with other oils to get exceptional results.
Styling of hairs can give you a fancy look, but it is always necessary to protect hair strands. Hair protectants are ready-to-use products for your comfort. Either use hair protectants or try other alternatives for guarding your hair. The choice is yours.